Let´s face it, wine drinking has been a part of our lives for many centuries now. It is an activity that is observed throughout history. But what makes wine drinking so indispensible? This is because wine brings pleasure to the person who would drink it. It is undeniable that wine has an innate taste that can lift one´s spirit. And nowadays, wine is not consumed merely for pleasure. Many people make wine drinking a part of their routine because of its health benefits. Wine is packed with anti-oxidants that help fight different types of diseases and delay the signs of aging.
Wine is an alcoholic drink made from fermented fruit juice. Grapes are usually used to make wine. The natural chemical balance of grapes allows them ferment without the addition of sugars, acids, enzymes, or other nutrients. The sugar in grapes is consumed and converted to alcohol by yeast. There are different varieties of grapes and strains of yeasts make different kinds of wine.
Wine is usually made from one or more varieties of the European species Vitis vinifera. These include Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Gamay and Merlot. And nowadays, another type of fruit is being used to produce good wines. This fruit is called pomegranate.
What Is Pomegranate?
The pomegranate or Punica granatum, is a fruit-bearing shrub or small tree that can grow between five and eight meters tall. The flowers are bright red which usually has a diameter of 3cm. It may have four to five petals. The edible fruit is a berry. It size is a lemon and a grapefruit in size which is around 5–12 cm in diameter. The fruit has a rounded hexagonal shape and has thick reddish skin. The precise number of seeds in a pomegranate fruit can vary from 200 to about 1400 seeds.
The fruit grows mostly to the areas of modern day Iran and Iraq. From there it spread to Asian areas such as the Caucasus as well as the Himalayas in Northern India and many other parts of the world.
Pomegranate has many culinary uses. And it is also used to make wines. Many people find delight on wine that is made of this fruit because it tastes good. And when people found out about the numerous health benefits of pomegranate, specifically its richness is anti-oxidants, it has become the subject of fruit winemaking.
Health Benefits of Pomegranate Wine
Pomegranate aril juice offers about 16% of an adult’s daily vitamin C requirement per 100 ml serving. It is also a very good source of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), potassium and natural phenols, such as ellagitannins and flavonoids. Pomegranates belong in some high-fiber charts of nutritional value. Wine made of pomegranate has more anti-oxidants than blueberry wine and aronia berry wine. Here are some of the health benefits that you can get from drinking wine pomegranate wine:
• May help decrease the risk of having a heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes. There are evidences which show that drinking pomegranate juice daily may help sustain the normal blood flow to the heart. Because of its antioxidant properties, pomegranate prevents bad cholesterol from forming, and therefore, may help maintain the arteries clear of blood clots.
• It may assist body’s normal defense in the avoidance of certain cancers. In view of the fact that pomegranates has very high levels of antioxidant called “flavonoids” . This type of anti-oxidant is considered to be effective in fighting various cancer-causing radicals. More .
• It may help decrease the risks for acquiring health problems such as atherosclerosis, osteoarthritis, and diabetes. Because pomegranate is very rich in anti-oxidants, conditions that are identified to cause the thickening and hardening of the walls of the arteries and those that damage in cartilage and joints can be avoided by drinking pomegranate wine.
• The fruit is an abundant source of various vitamins. Pomegranate is a fine, natural source of vitamins A, C and E . It also contains folic acid.
• It might decrease the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease among older people.
• May help reduce inflammation and is good for the skin.
• It can help reduce the symptoms experienced by women during menopausal stage.
• Can help people who are recovering from surgery.
All good reasons to make and drink pomegranate wine! To your health!