What is the difference between a cider and scrumpy? Actually, they are generally the same thing. Scrumpy cider is a certain type of cider that is usually only locally made. It is often found in Somerset in the United Kingdom (also the area where I first discovered cider). It can be a little “rough” as compared to commercial cider but this is what adds to its charm.
There are several definitions of scrumpy. Different people from different areas have varied definitions for this term. In some places, scrumpy is defined as rough and unsophisticated. It means that the cider is only a few months old and still has to undergo the phase of maturation. The apples that were used to make this type of cider were collected during the windfall. Whilst in other places, scrumpy refers to a fine cider that has matured and was made from well-selected apples.
Is It Different From Other Ciders?
As mentioned earlier, scrumpy is defined in several ways by different people from different places. Thus, scrumpy can be the same as other ciders and different from others. The point is scrumpy is also a type of cider.
The clarity, colour and taste of scrumpy can vary depending on the variety of apples that were used to make it and the method that was used to prepare this elixir. The amount of sugar and the length of time in which it was left to ferment can also influence its taste and alcohol level.
You can make your own scrumpy cider at home. It is relatively easy to prepare this drink at the comforts of your own kitchen. There are many sources on the internet that can provide steps on how to make Scrumpy.
Scrumpy Is Also Healthy
Scrumpy is also made from apples thus it is also healthy. Apples contain antioxidants that can help ward off various health problems and delay the signs of ageing. Here are some reasons why you should drink scrumpy:
• Scrumpy tastes good. If you want to prepare a drink that can help you relax after an exhausting day, you should consider making your own scrumpy cider. There are available recipes and guidelines on how to make scrumpy that is available in the internet.
• Scrumpy can help you become more productive. The antioxidants from the apple aid in promoting good blood circulation. And if your blood circulation is good, oxygen will be delivered to your cells efficiently. If your cells are receiving the right amount of energy, you will not get tired easily.
• Scrumpy can help improve and help you think better. Your brain cells must receive adequate oxygen to function well. And the antioxidants from scrumpy can help you with that.
• Scrumpy can help lessen sick days. This beverage is packed with antioxidants. And these antioxidants can contribute to strengthening your immune system.
• Scrumpy can help you control your weight. The antioxidants that are present on scrumpy can aid improve one´s metabolism.
• Scrumpy can delay the signs of ageing. The electrons that were stolen by free radicals from the molecules of the cells can be replaced by antioxidants.
However, for me, the main reason why I like to drink scrumpy cider is the taste. I must say though that the added health benefits does add to the cause!
So I raise a glass of scrumpy to your health!